Good abs and core body is not only the ideal way to get the perfect aesthetic look. You need a strong lower back too, to achieve a good posture. Back extension exercises are the key to strengthening your lower back muscles and bones, which will help you to avail of major fitness goals. The stability of the spine contributes to a strong back. Most people always prefer to on concentrating the front part of the body like the biceps, abs, strong chest. But people often tend to ignore focusing on back exercises.
Do Hyperbolic Stretching to Improve Flexibility and Core Strength
Strengthening your back is equally important and it can be achieved by doing a variety of back extensions. This exercise helps to perform major gym workouts like deadlifts, weight lifts and also benefits powerlifters. It helps in stretching your back and helps in developing a balanced midsection. Glutes, hamstrings, and lower back muscles are the major targets of this workout.
Back extension requires proper technique and gym equipment. Although there are some simple back extension exercises you can try out those on the safer side at home. Let us check out some interesting techniques to do back extension.
How to do Back Extension
This is a standard and common form of back extension workout at the gym.
- You will need a back extension machine. But before doing the exercise, try to activate your back muscles by doing some warm-up back exercises.
- Use the back extension machine also known as a hyperextension bench. You have to place the pad on the thighs and face the ground.
- The pad should be placed above your hip bone. Bend your spine at a 45-degree angle.
- Bend and return to the top by squeezing your glutes and hamstrings. Remember your hands should be placed in a crossing position on your chest.
- Take the help of a trainer to set up the machine. Do the movements around 10 times. This will help you to strengthen your lower back muscles.
See also: Some Effective Face Pulls Tips to Get a Better Physique
Back Extension Variations with Machine
One Leg Balance
This is a standard form of back extension except there is one slight change. You have to do a 45-degree angle bend by just keeping one leg on the pad and the other leg should move upwards and should not touch the pad. Bend up and down with one leg slightly in the air. This method ensures you become stable and helps to build a balanced body.
Dumbbell Back Extension
Use the machine as you do for the standard form of back extension. Start with a lightweight dumbbell. Hold the dumbbell with both hands together and bend up and down at a 45-degree angle by lifting the dumbbells. This type of back extension helps to strengthen your biceps along with activating lower back muscles.
Rounded Back Extension
You have to stand on the machine by keeping your distance between your feet as far as possible. Bend your spine in a rounded position, it should look slightly arched. Target your glutes and bend down as deep as possible and move slightly up, repeat these movements about 10 times. Remember to keep rounded positions throughout the movement.
Back Extension Without Machine
This is a simple exercise also known as superman stretch. It helps to engage core body muscles.
- Lie on your stomach on the mat with straight legs.
- By extending your arms fully, keep your back straight.
- Raise your left arm simultaneously with your right leg slightly above the floor. Also, lift your chest. While lifting pause for 10 seconds.
- Repeat this movement for your right arm and left leg.
See also: The Best Hammer Curls Variations for Results You’ll Notice
Unilateral Arm Semicircle
The position looks like you are swimming on the floor. This workout helps to improve flexibility in your arms because of swinging motion.
- Lie on your stomach the same you did for the superman variation.
- Just swing your arms simultaneously in a semi-circle position. Do not move your legs. Keep your spine erect.
- Make sure you lift your chest above and then move around your arms.
Back Extension with Rotation
This exercise is good for your upper lower back and also helps in reducing your double chin problem.
- Lie down on the mat on your stomach with legs stretching a slight distance apart. The toes should be pointed on the floor.
- Fold your arms by bending elbow such that your palms are placed on your head by touching each other.
- By placing your folded arms position, tilt your head on the right side by lifting your chest. Come back to a straight position.
- Tilt your head again towards your left side then come back to the straight position. Do this for 10 reps.
- Back extensions will provide you with relief from lower back pain.
- If you are suffering from slipped disc or muscle spasm, then this workout will prove beneficial for you.
- If you are regularly doing this exercise it will help you to coordinate with your lower back muscles.
- It is good to prefer back extensions to maintain an erect spine, improve mobility and lumbar stability.
Get a Flexible Body with Ballistic Stretching and Improve Your Fitness
Nutritional Facts About Salmon Calories for a Healthy Living
Get Bruce Lee-like Abs by Doing Dragon Flag Exercise
Close Grip Bench Press to Build Stronger Triceps and Get a Fit Body