Braids hairstyle for men are very stylish, and it is one of the best hairstyles that any man can get. Perhaps the best thing about this hairstyle is that it does not require a lot of care and maintenance. It also greatly enhances your appearance regardless of your skin type or your hair type.
If there is one thing that can alter your appearance or the way you look, it is your hair. Apart from the clothes you’re wearing, your hair is what people will notice first. If you’re considering adopting a new hairstyle, you should try braids hairstyle for men.
In this ultimate guide to braids hairstyle for men, you’ll learn everything about braids, and uncover many ways to enhance your grooming tips.
A brief history of braids
Braids are highly popular hairstyle which has a long history. Its roots can be traced back to thousands of years ago in African Culture. Although it was also practiced in other cultures, it was most common in African Culture, particularly amongst the women.
Braid or plait is more than just a hairstyle. In the olden days, it was considered as a way of showing off status, power, and confidence. Many popular figures in the past played a key role in popularizing the style; Stevie Wonder was one of those. Today, this popular style which originated from African Culture is embraced by men all over the world.
How to protect and preserve your braids?
Braids normally do not require a lot of care. However, to keep it in good condition, and to keep your hair clean, you are required to wash and condition your hair.
For healthy hair, it’s very important that you keep your scalp clean and free from oil and dirt. If you can follow these simple steps, you can preserve your braids up to five weeks or more.
- Wash your hair every 8-9 days using a mild shampoo. Put the required amount of shampoo in your hand, and form lather by rubbing your hands together. When the lather is ready, gently apply it on the scalp using your fingertips. Rinse off the lather thoroughly and get rid of excess water from the braids by squeezing them gently. Then use a soft towel to dry them. Do not rub or wipe the braids; use your towel to squeeze them.
- Moisturize your hair on a regular basis, preferably 4 to 5 times a week. To do this, use a leave-in conditioner. You can also use moisturizers, but make sure they do not contain mineral oils. A moisturizer with almond oil or coconut oil will work great.
- The best thing you can do to keep your braids looking good is to take care of it during sleeping hours. Covering your braids with a silk scarf will do the trick. For more protection, use a pillowcase made of silk, the smooth fabric will not pull out your hair.
- Take them out after 6-7 weeks. Braids are not meant to last for more than seven weeks at the most. After 6-7 weeks, your braids will slowly begin to look untidy no matter how much you clean it. Also, it can result in minor and temporary hair loss. New hairs are very delicate. They will suffer a lot of damage if you decide to keep your braids longer than the recommended period of time.
Additional tip: If your hair is braided, avoid scratching your head. If you really feel itchy, simply use your finger to press the itchy area. And lastly, buy a do-rag; it’s a must-have.
Are braids for everyone?
Braids hairstyle for men works perfectly for everyone. It won’t make you look funny or weird in any way. If you’ve been questioning yourself whether braids will suit you or not, consider the following things. It will help you in your decision making regarding the braids.
- Type of hair
Any type of hair can be braided, but there are certain types of hair which works best. For instance, if your hair is very fine or smooth/slippery, braiding them can be quite a challenge. In this case, a few dozens of rubber bands will be required to hold the braids in place. Whereas in the case of curly or wavy hair, an excellent and fine-looking braids can be done without any challenges.
- Length of hair.
If your hair is shorter than three inches, you might have to wait a little longer to braid them. Most hairstylists recommend that, if a person wants his hair braided, the hair should be longer than three inches. It’s not so easy to braid shorter hair because it won’t hold. Longer hairs are easier to work on, and they can be braided in a lot of different styles.
- Hair thickness.
Hair braiding is a style which will expose parts of your scalp. So if you’re experiencing a hair loss (major or minor), its best that you first take care of it. If you get your hair braided, it means you’re going to keep it for weeks. This can worsen your condition. If you really want to braid your hair, get a hair fall remedy first, and if you believe that it’s fixed, you can go ahead.
Benefits of braided hair
Braided hair will not only make you look cool and confident, but it has several benefits. Two of them are listed below.
- Prevents breakage: A lot of hair can be damaged while sleeping. However, if your hair is braided, the strands of hair that make up the braid hold on as one. As a result, it prevents breakage. Hair breakage can be reduced to a minimum when a smooth silk pillowcase is used.
- Saves a few minutes in the morning: If you have trouble waking early, braiding your hair can grant you a few extra minutes of sleep. Men with long hair need a few extra minutes to keep them in style/order, but with braided hair, that’s not necessary.
Braids hairstyle for men can make your life much easier, but in return, you must take care of it. You also need to know when you should brush it off, as it can cause some serious damages to your hair. Believe it or not, with braided hair, you get to save a lot of money and time. So, don’t ignore your braids; it only requires a little effort.