Creatine is one of the widely known supplements which is consumed by the majority of gym-goers and bodybuilders. It is a chemical compound that helps to enhance your performance during high-intensity workouts. About 95% of skeletal muscle consists of creatine and phosphocreatine. The average amount is 120 mmol/kg of muscle mass. Post dietary supplement, the maximum limit of creatine storage is 160 mmol/kg. According to research, around 2% of creatine is shed out daily after physical-based activities. Also, individuals should consume around 1-3gms of it to maintain daily creatine levels.
This supplement is an aid to give a good amount of muscles mass to your body. It plays a crucial role in working at the cellular level of muscular function. Furthermore, it helps to increase body mass and quickly generates muscle recovery process. Definitely a popular dietary supplement amongst professional athletes. However, an individual should be aware of when to take it to attain maximum benefits. Let us check this article about when is the best time to take creatine and what are its benefits.
When to Take Creatine
If you are a vegan or a vegetarian, take this supplement slightly more than a non-vegetarian person before starting a workout. Take creatine 15-30 minutes before a workout. It generates muscle mass and activates muscle fibers which furthermore helps in your weight lifts task.
After high intense exercises, your muscles get depleted. So creatine level gets degraded too. So you can consume it after exercise to maximize your daily creatine level. Taking this supplement after a workout helps you in reducing inflammation. Also aids muscle recovery and will also make you prepare for doing your next workout. If you are taking carbs along with it will surely benefit you. Because, it increases your level of glycogen storage in your body.
The Best Time to Take Creatine
According to research and numerous studies have been done about the perfect time of consumption of this supplement. The results showed up that you can take it whenever you want it. You can take it anytime that is suitable according to your lifestyle. There are no such studies or evidence that clearly describe creatine effects on pre and post-workouts.
Many people have taken it regularly during morning and night without doing any workouts. After investigating, studies have shown that it gives the same amount ofmuscle mass, lower and upper body strength. It gives you a good advantage irrespective of whether you take it at any time of the day. Also, it does not matter if you take it before or after the workout. The only important thing you have to maintain is not to consume it more than the daily intake capacity. As long as creatine remains in your system throughout the day. There is no harm in consuming it any time.
Side Effects and Precautions
- Creatine is a safe dietary supplement however it may not be suitable for some people.
- Consult your doctor before taking this supplement.
- People with kidney problems should not take it.
- As studies show that, creatine makes the kidney more problematic. If you have removed your kidney and still want to take it, then approach a doctor before taking the supplement.
- People suffering from liver-related diseases should avoid it. Creatine may make your liver worse if you consume it despite having a bad liver.
- There is not much research about whether pregnant women can safely consume it. However, to be on the safer side, avoid taking it during pregnancy.
- If you are taking with steriods, consult your doctor before taking them together.
- Creatine supplements may cause dehydration so it’s better to get hydrated from time to time.
How to Take Creatine
You can consume creatine along with protein and carbs. It will provide you immense benefits. Also, one scoop of powder mixing it will some protein shake during your breakfast will also benefit you or else you can have it after dinner too. If you are pairing it with macronutrients then it will benefit you to sustain creatine longer time in your body. For better taste, you can consume creatine by combining it with some other liquids.
Health Benefits of Creatine
- Creatine has numerous benefits like building muscle mass, generating muscle power and strength, also makes your gym workout performance impactful.
- As we age, we tend to lose muscle mass, so creatine helps to regain the muscle mass in your body. So it is also a good supplement for senior older people.
- It is a boon for athletes as it helps in boosting their athletic performance. It gives immense strength and power in the muscles to perform heavy physical tasks.
- Some people suffer from methyltransferase deficiency which prevents to make creatine in their body. So regular intake of it may help them to recover from this deficiency.