Learn how to make effective homemade face washes that are natural, affordable, and easy to create. If you’re someone who wants to avoid harsh chemicals found in commercial face washes, then making your own DIY face wash is a great option. By using simple, natural ingredients like aloe vera, activated charcoal, coconut oil, and essential oils, you can customize your face wash to meet your specific skin needs.
Homemade Honey Face Wash
This homemade honey face wash works for a wide range of skin types and needs. If you have sensitive skin, you’ll appreciate the fact that it’s made with all-natural, gentle ingredients. Those with dry skin will benefit from the hydrating and soothing properties of honey and nourishing oil. Honey’s antibacterial properties can also help reduce inflammation and breakouts if you have acne-prone skin.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup liquid castile soap
- 3 tablespoons distilled water
- 2 tablespoons nourishing oil (e.g., jojoba, sweet almond, avocado, or olive oil)
See also: Top 10 Face Wash Brands: Review and Ranking
- In a soap dispenser, add the distilled water first to prevent bubbles, then add the liquid castile soap, honey, and nourishing oil.
- Shake the ingredients together until the honey is fully dissolved.
- Your homemade honey face wash is now ready to use. Apply a small amount to damp skin and massage gently in a circular motion.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
- Store the remaining face wash in a cool place, like a bathroom cabinet, for up to a month.
Activated Charcoal Homemade Face Wash
This DIY face wash combines the moisturizing benefits of organic coconut oil with the detoxifying and exfoliating properties of activated charcoal and baking soda. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a gentle and effective face wash that is free from harsh chemicals and additives.
- 1 cup organic coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp activated charcoal (about 5 capsules worth)
- 1 tbsp baking soda
See also: Men’s Skincare 101: A Step-By-Step Guide To Glowing Skin
- Melt the coconut oil: If your coconut oil is solid, melt it in a double boiler or in the microwave until it becomes a liquid.
- Mix in the activated charcoal and baking soda: Add the activated charcoal and baking soda to the melted coconut oil and mix until it is well combined.
- Store the mixture: Transfer the mixture to a clean container with a lid. Store it in a cool, dry place. This mixture should stay good for several months.
- To use: Scoop out a quarter-sized amount of the mixture with your fingers and apply it to your face.
Aloe Vera Face Cleanser
Aloe vera is a well-known ingredient in many skincare products due to its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and wound healing properties. It is commonly used to soothe sunburns, but it is also effective at exfoliating dry skin and improving overall skin moisture. In fact, a recent review of the scientific literature revealed that aloe vera can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions, including psoriasis and eczema.
- 1/2 cup fresh aloe vera gel or pure aloe vera gel (store-bought)
- 1/4 cup rose water
- 1/4 cup Castile soap
- 10 drops of essential oils (optional)
- If using fresh aloe vera gel, harvest the gel from the plant and add it to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, add the aloe vera gel, rose water, and Castile soap. Mix well.
- Add 10 drops of essential oils of your choice (optional), and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into a clean container with a lid.
- To use, wet your face with warm water, then apply a small amount of the cleanser to your fingertips and gently massage it onto your face in circular motions.
- Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry with a towel.
- Store the remaining cleanser in the refrigerator (if using fresh aloe vera) or at room temperature (if using store-bought aloe vera gel). Use within 2-3 weeks.