How to cut a dragon fruit is a big question that comes across to everyone, once they see and buy this fruit. Dragon Fruit, also known as Pitaya is of cactus species fruit, it is native to American. It is the fruit of the genus. Dragon fruit has a good taste and the exterior is astonishingly coated with beautiful vibrant magenta color. Moreover, dragon fruit is nutritious but looks very complicated. You have to cut a dragon fruit, precisely.
- Place the fruit on a cutting board and lay the dragon fruit on its side.
- Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut the fruit in half lengthwise, starting from the top of the fruit down to the stem.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the flesh.
- Cut the flesh into slices or cubes in the desired size.
Dragon fruit is exotic and has a refreshing taste. It has various health benefits too. You can cut them in numerous ways and enjoy them by either eating alone or combining them with some dishes. This tropical fruit has a bodacious appearance similar to that of kiwi fruit. But the taste is sweeter and less sour than kiwi. It looks intimidating for cutting dragon fruit. But once you know the technique, it becomes easy to cut dragon fruit. Let us check some tips on how to cut a dragon fruit in useful ways and enjoy this amazing fruit.
How to Cut a Dragon Fruit
Before cutting a dragon fruit, you should be aware that there are 3 main types of dragon fruit. One is the pink one with white flesh. The second one is red dragon fruit with red flesh itself. The third one is yellow dragon fruit with white flesh in it.
You use the same techniques to cut all these types of dragon fruit. Also if you are good enough to spot a nice riped dragon fruit then it is spot on. They usually are soft like mango and are consumed more in the summer season.
Let us check on how to cut a dragon fruit by following step by step instructions
First Step: Cut In Half Piece
- Keep the dragon fruit on the cutting board tray. You can use a good-quality sharp knife to cut dragon fruit.
- From top to bottom, start cutting the dragon fruit into half slices till its thick stem.
- Keep the sliced fruit aside.
Step Two: Peeling the Skin
- Once you have sliced the dragon fruit, it is time to remove the pulp.
- For that, you have to peel the skin and there are two ways. First, take a spoon and scoop out the flesh pulp of the fruit.
- Or else by using your fingers you can easily remove the skin.
Step Three: Cut a Dragon Fruit
- Once the dragon fruit is without skin, it’s time to cut them into pieces.
- On the chopping board, you can place the fleshes of the fruit.
- Start cutting them gently into slices like you cut the potatoes.
- Another way of cutting dragon fruit is to cut them in cubes with 3/4 inches. After slicing them normally, cut them in opposite direction according to your suitable length of cubes.
- For garnishing a dish or making ice cream you can use a melon baller to scoop it out.
Receipes Using Dragon Fruit
Once you learn how to cut a dragon fruit then it becomes enjoyable to taste this exotic fruit. You can eat them as a fruit salad. Cut dragon fruits into chops or cube shapes and mix them with other fruits like kiwi or watermelon.
Enjoy them in the breakfast. You can also make a dragon fruit smoothie by mixing it with mango, banana, and milk. Avocado and dragon fruit combo smoothie is a widely popular choice of drink favored by many people. Garnish it with mint leaves and enjoy the refreshing drink.
Besides smoothies and fruit salad, you can make popsicles out of them, or simply freezing the fruit is also delicious. Kids will surely enjoy it.
Nutritional Benefits of a Dragon Fruit
After mastering how to cut a dragon fruit and make varieties f dishes out of it you can also be aware of how important is this fruit to include in your daily diet routine.
- Dragon fruit is rich in Vitamin C, A, Calcium and magnesium It gives 0 percent fats. So it is a powerhouse of excellent nutrients. If you are suffering from nutrient deficiency then consuming this fruit daily is enough to fill up the nutrient gaps.
- They are abundant in antioxidants and betacyanin and moreover, they protect your cells from getting damaged and also acts as an anticancer agent.
- They are high in fiber and will keep your stomach full for long hours and prevents frequent hunger.
- Research also shows that dragon fruit is good for diabetic people. It helps to control blood sugar and insulin spike.