Seated Calf Raise is a variation exercise of machine calf raise where you lift your heels using your calves. It has the reputation of being the toughest muscle to grow. But if you give complete dedication to the training then you can master seated calf raise. This exercise primarily targets your calves. For most people, working on leg muscles, especially calves is challenging. So this exercise will surely help individuals who want to focus on soleus muscles and calves.
Seated Calf Raise is included in a training program to increase leg muscle size. If you want to improve plantarflexion then daily training of calves is essential. The calves muscles contain two major muscles, one is the soleus and the other is gastrocnemius. Gastro includes the topmost part of calves and soleus includes the entire lower length of the leg. You can even do some alternatives of seated calf raise at home. Anyone who has no injury to the leg only can perform this workout. Let us go through more essential guides on how to do seated calf raises.
How to do Seated Calf Raise
Step By Step Instructions
- Begin this workout on the calf machine. Be seated with back straight.
- Start with low weight or moderately weighted dumbbell and place it on your thighs.
- Raise your heels and try to raise weights as high as possible.
- Once you raise it pause. Bring down your heels back to a flat surface.
- To get this exercise more effective try to do it with a full range of motion.
- The exercise looks simple but it is quite challenging. After some time you will notice some tension in your legs. If you have an injury in your lower legs then avoiding this workout would be better.
Seated Calf Raise Variation
The form and posture will the same as that of the standard version of the seated calf we saw above. Here you should place your toes on a wooden plank. Your knees should be bent at a 90-degree angle. Your toes should point straight. Your heels should not be on the plank. Only half part of your feet should be on the plank.
In this form, the only difference you should do is keep the toes facing inward towards each other. The rest of the workout method remains the same.
Seated Calf Raise Alternatives
Squat Hold Calf Raises
The whole form is the same in this alternative. Except for the position of hand should be fully extended right in front of you. Squat with lifting your toes above and then return to the seated position. Just push up your toes and then come back to the floor. The workout has to be repeated continuously for around 15 times.
Single-Leg Standing Calf Raises
A single left calf is performed by standing with one leg on the ground and the other leg will be right behind raised. Lift your weight by elevating your toes of the feet that are placed on the ground. Raise your toes and lower them down. This should also be done around 10 times.
- While performing calf-based workouts, individuals often make a mistake by doing exercise without muscle contraction and not stretching their toes fully. So stretching and contracting muscles is necessary o get the maximum benefit of this workout.
- Not doing enough variations of this exercise will not give you complete strong calf muscles. So doing variations and alternatives will be good for you.
Calf Raises Benefits
- If you want to increase the size of calf muscles, shoulders and thigh muscles then this could be the best option for you.
- Seated calf raise will also benefit you to bulk up your leg muscles.
- During running and jumping performances strong legs are essential so this workout makes it easy.
- Variation like standing leg calf raise proves beneficial for walking on stairs and climbing on mountains.