From the age of 25, bone degeneration begins. This affects the entire framework of the body. As the years pass by, slowly, it leads to inflammation and pain, eventually developing into arthritis, back pain. Around the age of 60, this becomes a common issue among the elderly. However, the good news is that you can prevent and treat them at your home with no equipment.
Here are five easy and effective back exercises for seniors and young adults.
- Seated Cat-Cow
Seated exercises are comfortable and simple to do. A Cat-Cow stretch helps you stretch the lower back muscles and the core muscles simultaneously.
How to Do?
- Sit in a chair with feet and knees at a 90-degree angle.
- Keep your hands pointing towards each other over your thighs.
- Inhale and when you exhale, arch your back and press your hands using your spine. This will make your face look at the sky and press your butt behind you.
- Inhale again and roll your shoulders forward, thus arching your spine towards your belly button.
- Exhale and repeat this back and forth motion slowly at least for 2-3 minutes every day.
- Seated Twist
A gentle twist can make your muscles flexible and stretches your lower back. It also helps you tone your abdominal muscles, stimulates digestion. That’s why doctors increasingly suggest this back exercise for seniors.
How to Do?
- Sit in the same position as you did your seated Cat-Cow. Edge a little forward at the same time and sit comfortably.
- Inhale and press your seat up; with straight posture, lengthen the spine and lift your arms.
- Exhale and turn to your right, placing your left arm over your right thigh. You’ll feel the twist across your spine.
- Being in the twist, inhale and sit up taller. When you exhale, twist a little further.
- Continue this on the other side as well. Remember to take deep breaths before releasing the twist. Do this for two minutes.
- Bird Dog
Bird dog is a great back exercise for senior citizens who want to improve their lower back mobility. It is an intermediate level exercise that requires some balance. Place a pillow or blanket below your knees and do it on a mat.
How to do?
- Stay in a tabletop position (hands and knees on the mat). Position your hands underneath the shoulders and knees aligned to the hips.
- Lift your right leg behind you. Straight up to the position you’re comfortable at. Inhale and tighten your core muscles.
- Now lift your left arm in front of you to your shoulder level.
- Exhale when you return to the original position.
- Repeat it on the other side too. Do this 10 times on each side.
- Standing Reverse Leg Lifts
Standing reverse leg lifts works on your glutes, lower back and abdominal muscles. You can either use support like a chair or do it without support if you’re comfortable.
How to do?
- Stand straight with feet hip-width apart. Place your hands on the chair and chin up, shoulders straight.
- Inhale and lift your right leg and extend it behind you. Raise it to a position comfortable to you.
- Hold this position until a count of 5.
- Gently lower it down and exhale.
- Repeat this on the left leg as well. Do the exercise 5 times on each side slowly.
- Warrior 2 Yoga Pose
Yoga is an effective exercise for senior citizens. The warrior 2 yoga pose is slightly more difficult to do than other exercises. It helps you balance and strengthens the leg muscles, especially the thigh. Do this exercise on a mat.
How to do?
- Stand on the mat with feet wide apart (two times your shoulder width) and keep your toes forward.
- Turn your right foot to place your toes facing straight. Lift your arms to shoulder height.
- Bend your right leg so that your left leg is straight. Bend at your level of comfort.
- Ensure your right knee is aligned to the right foot.
- Hold this position for 10-12 seconds. Return to the original position. Repeat this on the other side.
These exercises are a boon for backaches and other stiffness issues. Consult a physician before starting to practice these.
7 Things Your Chiropractor knows about you the Moment they see you
The 6 Best Workouts for Getting Six-Pack Abs
Reduce Belly Fat Through These Simple Yet Effective Exercises
Irresistible and Long Lasting Fragrances