A lat pulldown is one of the popular workouts that mainly targets the lats but also arms and shoulders. Lat’ is a short form of the word Latissimus Dorsi, the largest V-shaped muscle that is located at the back of the upper half of the body.
Lat pulldown workout is much necessary however, people often badly perform the moves in the gym, because it is one of the toughest kinds of exercise to do. Proper movements will lead you to a stronger back, which in turn gives you a stronger chest that will help you to master the bench press.
Beginners Guide to do a Lat Pulldown
Step by Step Instructions:
- First thing, you need to comfortably sit down on the seat of the lat pull machine and your feet should be set hip-width apart beneath the pads.
- Place the top pads on the top of your legs and keep a stable position on the seat.
- Adjust the weight according to your preference.
- Grab the bar handle with a good grip by extending your arms.
- Pull the bar down slowly by bending your elbows and raise your chest.
- Start doing 15 reps and make sure you breathe better throughout this movement.
See also: Health Benefits of Sitting Poses for Developing your Mind and Body
Latissimus Dorsi Muscles(Lats)
Lat muscles are the most important muscle in your body shaped like – V that reaches till lumbar region of your spine. The main aim is to keep lats strong which is responsible for major movements. If you are bringing anything down from a shelf, or pushing some heavy box, or swinging your arms then lat muscles are involved. So it is very crucial to keep these muscles strong through pull-down workouts. Try to focus on bringing shoulder blades together to get more benefit from this workout.
With lat pulls, you can strengthen your biceps. Biceps are not only for the aesthetic look but stronger biceps are good for flexibility of elbow joints. To gain maximum benefit of stronger biceps with lats pulldown, you should pull the bar down until the chests and do it for around 15 reps.
See also: How to Master Rack Pulls to Achieve a Perfect Body
They are also termed as posterior deltoid muscles that are located at top of your shoulders. They are mainly responsible for raising your arm and moving them to the front and back positions. We sometimes suffer from hunchback problems due to desk jobs or some physical injury. So to bulk up your rear dealt with lat pulls, you have to lean back at a 45-degree angle then pull down the bar till your chest and do this for around 10 reps.
Triceps are the much-ignored muscles. But if you want to strengthen them with lat pulls then pull down the bar till your waist level and bring the bar back down to its starting position. Do this for around 15 reps then you will soon notice the change in your triceps.
Variations of Lat Pulldown to Build a Stronger Back
One-arm lat –
Only one arm is used to perform this action.
- Make sure you sit in a comfortable position and your legs should be placed on the ground.
- Place your pads on your legs and engage to the core.
- Grab the handle and pull it downwards to your shoulders.
- Squeeze the lat, the focus should be on it and repeat this procedure for some 10 reps.
Supinated Lat Pulldown
The biceps plays a crucial role in this workout to make a stronger back. This exercise also helps you with more heavy weight lifting.
- Sit on the seat and face the cable machine.
- Stretch your arm upwards to grab the handle and the palm should be facing towards you.
- Pull down the bar until it reaches your ribcage.
- Engage the core, repeat the movement, the focus should be on building up your biceps.
Closed Grip Lat Pulldown
This variation works mainly on the middle key muscles at your back.
- Sit on the bench comfortably under the knee pads.
- Stretch your arms and grab the bar with palms facing each other.
- The grip of the palms should be closed and curled on the bar.
- Slowly pull down the bar until your chest, repeat the action for around 20 reps.
- While sitting on the bench to being this workout, make sure your posture should stay erect rather than arching your back. If you bend the back then it would lead to an injury and back pain.
- During pulling the bar down, make sure that you pull the bar from the armpit and not just use forearms. You can activate lats by putting strength on armpits.
- If you are a beginner avoid pulling the bar with much wide gap. Hold the bar only with shoulder-distance apart.
- You should do this workout with slow momentum and control. Doing it fastly will give you back and shoulder pain.
Some Tips and Tricks for doing Leg Curl to Achieve your Fitness Goals
How to Do a Tricep Pushdown with Proper Technique to Improve Your Physical Fitness
Why Are Hanging Leg Raises an Exceptional Ab Workout?
How Many Miles Can You Get Out of Well-Maintained Dodge Caliber?