There can be a lot of reasons why men keep long hair. It could be a religious reason, rock culture influence, traditional, or simply a way of exercising the freedom of expression. Whatever the reasons are, a well-groomed and healthy hair is something which everyone appreciates. If you have long hair, or you’re working on it, we are glad you’re here; this post provides tips for long haircuts for men who fancy long hair.
Why take care of your hair?
Men who are accustomed to long hairstyles probably understand why women need extra minutes to style their hair. Keeping long hair demands a lot of maintenance which can be pretty intimidating, especially those who are not used to long haircuts for men.
There is more to it than just nourishing your hair with expensive products. If you want to keep your hair smooth and shiny, you have to take good care of it. You already know that it’s almost impossible to repair damaged hair.
Let’s take an example of your skin, it can repair the bruises and minor scratches all by itself, but this is not the case with the hair. The hair is basically a protein (keratin) with no supply of blood cells, except in the roots. This is why your hair needs intensive care if you are to keep it long.
In this guide to managing long haircuts for men, you will learn all about keeping your hair long and healthy. Let’s get started.
Grooming tips for men with long haircut
Although a lot of men grow long hair, a good number of them hesitate when it comes to picking up hair care products. It’s pretty natural for men to think that somehow their masculinity is undermined by shopping for hair-care products. But did you know that even your favorite long-haired rock-star uses a lot of hair care products? Don’t be reluctant to get a product that is good for your hair.
- Invest in good quality tools and products – The key to having perfectly groomed hair begins with the use of right tools and products. A wide-toothed comb, a salon-quality drier with different heat settings, deep conditioning conditioner and hair mask are some of the key essentials.
- Understand your hair type and scalp type – As you may know already, there are different types of shampoos and conditioners for different hair types. When you have the answer to this, you will know exactly what to buy.
- Use a conditioner – Again, a good number of men do not feel very comfortable using a conditioner. They assume that shampoo alone will do the trick, but conditioners are extremely crucial if you want a silky smooth, healthy hair.
Consider deep conditioning your hair every two to three weeks and use a hair mask as well. Use a leave-in conditioner if it is not possible to deep condition your hair.
- Brush your hair regularly – Ask your sister or any of your close lady friends, they will tell you the importance of brushing the hair. It will keep your hair free from tangles. It is best to use a comb with a wide-tooth, or a high-quality hairbrush. To keep it shiny, use a small amount of oil or cream.
Also don’t be shy to go visit a hairdresser and ask for advice; he/she will be happy to fix your hair with creativity.
Taking care of your hair
- Avoid wearing a tight hat – Tight hats can result in hair loss which is known as traction alopecia. It will also stretch your hair and may result in breakage.
- Get a high-quality hair elastic – At times you may have to up-do your hair. So it’s important that you get a high-quality hair elastic, preferably hair elastic with a cloth covering.
- Avoid blow-drying – Unless you’re in a hurry, or you really need to, always try to avoid blow-drying. It’s one of the most common reasons for hair damage. Should you ever have to blow dry your hair, make sure that you use a thermal spray designed for the purpose, and don’t forget to use the lowest heat selection. Also, do not rub your hair with a towel weirdly, it will result in a lot of breakages as wet hair is more susceptible to damage than a dry hair.
- Avoid using too much hair gel, spray or wax – Although they may not cause major damage to your hair, excessive use of these products can make your hair look dull.
- Take care of your health – It would be a waste of time, energy, and effort if your health is not in good condition. Your health can have an adverse effect on your hair. Discard unhealthy habits such as smoking and eating unhealthy food. Maintain a healthy diet, and drink sufficient amount of water to stay hydrated.
How often should you shampoo your hair?
To ensure that your hair is clean, you need to wash it with a shampoo from time to time. But how often do you have to wash your hair? It depends on several factors; if you’re living in a warm, humid region, you may have to wash your hair at least four times a week.
If you also exercise a lot, or you have an oily scalp then you may be required to shampoo your hair on a daily basis or every other day. If the above-aforementioned conditions do not apply to you, shampooing twice or thrice a week is more than enough.
Your hair is nourished by natural oils produced by in the scalp. Shampooing too frequently will result in dry hair, and promotes tangles and breakage. Rinse your hair with water every time you go into the pool as chlorine is not good for your hair.
A good hairstylist can help you find the perfect style that matches your face and your lifestyle. Apart from keeping your hair perfectly groomed, it’s also important that you make sure that your hairstyle looks good on you.
Long haircuts for men and those with long hair exhibit virility and charm that is unparalleled. Use our grooming tips to take care of your long manes and revel in the envious looks that are guaranteed to come your way.