Condoms are one of the most convenient means of birth control. Aside from that, it also protects both partners from sexually transmitted infection. You can easily acquire a condom without a doctor’s prescription and even in regular grocery stores. And, it also comes in different flavors to add excitement when in bed. But, do you know that despite its flexibility and ability expand; they also come in different condom sizes?
It is actually important to use the right condom sizes. This will avoid problems in the long run. Here are some of the reasons why you should choose the right size of a condom.
- This will help prevent breakage and tearing apart
- This will stay intact during sex
- It will not slip and keep you protected whatever position you choose
- Wrong condom size may interfere with sex and may reduce the sensation
- May cause a negative impression to your sexual partner
Knowing Your Condom Size
According to studies, the average penis length when flaccid is 2.8 to 3.9 inches. And, in terms of circumference, its average girth is 3.5 to 3.9 inches. When erect, the average size of a penis is 5.1 inches, with a circumference of 3.5 to 3.9 inches.
However, as per the British Journal of Urology, the average penis size in length is 5.5 to 6.2 inches long and 4.7 to 5.1 inches in girth. The exact average size is hard to identify but these will be our standard basis for selecting the right condom sizes.
When choosing a condom, it is actually the girth that is taken into consideration. So to know your size, the first step is to measure your penis’ circumference. This should be done when your penis is erect and taken on the widest part. You can use a string and simply loop it around the widest area, then note the measurement of the string.
After taking your measurement it’s time to know what condom sizes would fit you best.
- If your girth is within 4.7 to 5.1 inches, it is advisable to use regular condoms. Its size is 2.05 to 2.1inches wide.
- If your size is below 4.7 inches, it is best to use a snug, secured and good fitting condom which is around 2 inches wide.
- If your girth is more than 5.1 inches it is best to opt for a large size condom, which is 2.1 inches wide.
You can also check out this detailed size chart here, featuring different brands of condoms and their available sizes.
You may have to try out the different sizes and brands to find the best fit for you. Although less attention is given to the condoms being used today, finding the right condom sizes will ensure safety and breakage. This will avoid unwanted pregnancy and transmission of diseases such as Hepatitis, HIV, and AIDS.
Now if you want to impress your partner in bed, getting a bigger size condom may not be the best way to do it. In fact, the best way to enjoy sex is finding the right fitting condom. So if you notice some problems with your condom, such as breaks or problems in sensation, you are most likely using the wrong condom sizes.